Tomatoes are very popular. They are tasty, versatile, affordable, and provide a variety of health benefits. Tomatoes are featured in a variety of recipes and can be used in a number of different ways. One of the most popular options for consuming tomatoes is in tomato juice. The juice is rich, tasty, and filled with health benefits.
Just one serving a day of tomato-based foods can have an incredibly beneficial effect on your health. Studies have confirmed that tomatoes lower the odds of getting certain types of cancer, including prostate, colon, stomach, mouth, esophageal, cervical and pancreatic cancer. Tomatoes are rich in an antioxidant named lycopene, which destroy free radicals in your system. The presence of free radicals can cause damage to the cells in the body, causing and leading to conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and macular degeneration. Lycopene also aids in preventing damage to the skin, preventing wrinkles and effectively slowing down the aging process. In addition, lycopene has also been shown to protect DNA in white blood cells. Lycopene is not a compound the human body naturally creates and must be added to the body from an outside source, such as tomato juice.
Drinking tomato juice as part of a daily regimen will also aid in managing your weight and boost your entire immune system. Tomato juice stimulates your metabolism and suppresses hunger, which may lead to weight loss. Furthermore, tomato juice will significantly increase the amount of energy you have during the day, allowing you to perform tasks with added vigor.
The Benefits of Juicing Tomatoes
1. Vitamin and Mineral Rich – Tomatoes provide the body with a tremendous amount of natural vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, B7, excellent vitamin C, folate, iron, potassium, magnesium, chromium, choline, zinc, and phosphorus.
2. Tomatoes can reduce damage by smoking, including second hand smoke – Tomatoes can reduce the amount of damage done to your body by smoking cigarettes or inhaling second hand smoke. Tomatoes contain coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid that work to protect the body from carcinogens that are produced from cigarette smoke.
3. Tomatoes are dense in phytonutrients – In terms of phytonutrients, few vegetables compare with tomatoes. They contain flavonones, flavonols, hydroxycinnamic acids, carotenoids, glycosides and even fatty acid derivatives. Better antioxidant protection has also been shown using broad measurements of oxidative stress in different body systems including neurodegenerative diseases.
4. Improves digestion and prevents constipation – They help to improve the functioning of the digestive system and the liver, and the prevention of constipation, especially when mixed with spinach juice.
5. Healthy Hair – Drinking tomato juice constantly improves the appearance and texture of hair, and since it is rich in vitamin k, it helps to strengthen the tufts of hair and increase its luster as well as the revitalization of growth.
6. Skin Health – Rich tomato components fight acne and prevent damage to skin cells. Studies have indicated that drinking two cups of tomato juice a day helps to improve the overall appearance of the skin in a short period of time.
7. Bone Health – Tomatoes help maintain healthy bones strengthened by enhancing the ratio of calcium in the body. Interestingly, the connection of tomato intake to bone health involves the rich supply of antioxidant in tomatoes.
8. Strengthens Immune System – Daily consumption of tomatoes is working to increase the proportion of vitamin C in the blood, which inhibits the levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. So drinking tomato juice helps ease tension and stress.
Here are 3 Great Tomato Juice Recipes
The Mouth Cleanser
This all-over helping juice is great for making you feel good but it also has an intense boost for your oral health. It’ll leave your mouth with much fresher breath and it also does good things for your skin.
- 2 apples
- 2 carrots
- 1 whole tomato
Carrot Tomato Celery Juice
- 3 carrots
- 2 tomatoes
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 1/2 Bell Pepper
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Stalks Celery
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 2 Handfulls Parsley
- 1 Handful Spinach
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
Tomatoes are one of the best fruits to juice. Often confused for a vegetable, this fruit gives a ton of benefits when juiced. It’s loaded with beneficial vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.